This white cake cupcakes recipe is a white birthday cake recipe that I found and wrote down from an old cookbook at my mother-in-laws. It required a lemon but I did not have any on hand, so I replaced with some vanilla paste and it tinged the cake slightly so I didn’t get that white birthday cake look. However, after one bite I didn’t care these were amazing with a very tender crumb that was still light and moist. I haven’t made cupcakes in a while so I was thrilled to finally make something new.
I will use this recipe again frequently if the opportunity allows. I must try this with lemon because it is probably divine, just replace the vanilla with lemon juice and zest. I had some of my basic Swiss buttercream in the freezer from earlier in the week. To use frozen frosting defrost it and then whisk it up, add in the food coloring and is perfect for quick cupcake needs.
On very high recommendations I bought some AmeriColor Gels and I used the violet in the frosting and I am beyond happy with the gels. They are bright, vivid, and true rich colors. I threw out my other colors and replaced them, these color gels are just amazing. If you have not had a chance to try them out and jump on that bandwagon do so soon. I cannot say enough good things about this AmeriColor Gels pack, it has all the basic colors you would need.
In regards to cake flour, I am going to guess 95% of you are like me and don’t have it on hand. It is easy to make everyday all purpose flour into cake flour. The conversion is 1 cup All Purpose Flour – 1 tbsp All Purpose Flour + 1 tbsp Corn Starch = 1 c Cake Flour (sift it like 3-4 times to aerate). For this recipe specifically, measure out all purpose flour of 2 1/2 cups. Remove 2 tablespoons and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the measured flour. Next measure out 2 tablespoons and 1 1/2 teaspoons of Corn Starch add to the flour. Sift 3-4 times to aerate and proceed with the recipe as normal. A simple fix to give you a soft delicate crumb to your cake that just using all purpose flour alone does not achieve.
White Cake Cupcakes
Posted by Lia S on January 30th, 2012
Yield: Makes 25 to 30 cupcakes
- 2 1/2 c Cake Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 c Sugar
- 1/2 c (1 stick) Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/4 c milk
- 2 tsp Vanilla Paste (or 2 tsp lemon zest & 1/2 tsp lemon juice)
- Prepare two cupcake pans with liners and preheat oven to 350F. Sift the cake flour, baking powder, and salt, into a small bowl. In the bowl of your stand mixer combine the sugar and butter and whisk until pale and fluffy.
- While the butter mixture is whisking in a 2 cup glass measuring cup combine the egg whites, milk, and vanilla or lemon flavoring and whisk with a fork to combine.
- Once the butter sugar mixture is fluffy and pale turn down to medium speed. Add the flour and milk mixture in two parts alternating wet and dry, ending with dry.
- Once the mixtures are added turn off and scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix for one minute on medium speed.
- Divide the cake mix into the prepared pans filling each 2/3 full. Bake each pan for 15-18 mintues. Cool completely before decorating.