Welcome to the Sunday Snapshot! Throughout the week we bookmark and pin a lot of stuff and we wanted to share it with our readers.
Pinterest Best Practices
Though we’ve only been on Pinterest a few weeks, we’ve noticed something that I think should be addressed when pinning items. The easiest way to pin something is to just re-pin an image from someone without clicking through. Not everyone notices where this image originally came from, but we do. I’ve found a disturbing amount of pins come from Tumblr that have been reblogged over and over and somewhere along the way the attribution has been lost, meaning there’s no link back to the food blog it came from. Often these are called “ghost pins”.
With a few exceptions where it’s not possible, I generally choose not to repin something that has Tumblr as its source because the blogger that it’s from doesn’t get the click-through that they deserve. This isn’t necessarily a knock against Tumblr because I love the service, but as a general rule I like to click through a pin to the blog it’s from to see the recipe and also to see if the blog is something I want to add to my RSS feed. Hopefully this is something you will start to take note of as well and try to make sure that your pins link back to the source.
6 Pinteresting People We Followed This Week
1. Pennyweight – We’re staring off with another heavy hitter this week. With over a million followers, Pennyweight is no slouch. While Elise of Pennyweight has only one board dedicated to food, there’s a lot there to look at and repin. She also has quite a few good boards related to fashion and home-type things. Definitely worth checking out, as well as her blog.
2. Sarah Kieffer | Vanilla Bean Blog – Sarah is a fellow Minneapolis food blogger who has a great amount of food boards that you really should be following. Sarah also has a lot of other good boards with an emphasis on dreamy photography.
3. Laurie Leahy – Laura is an active pinner and has 9 food boards worth following, including one that’s a multi-user board overflowing with food (it’s the last board in the list). Lots of great food and drink photography and pins related to painting and various creative arts.
5. Moys N – A very active Pinterest user with a serious amount of food to look at and repin. Good eye for quality too.
6. Ideas to Steal – Also an interior design blog, you’ll find a LOT of interior design and architecture pins here. There’s no food here really, but if you’re looking for home decorating ideas you’ve got a great resource here.
And of course you can always feel free to follow us as well!
5 Recipes We’re Drooling Over This Week
1. Chocolate Fudge Sauce @ The Sophisticated Gourmet – Looking for a good recipe for chocolate fudge sauce? Look no further than here.
2. Chocolate and Espresso Fondants @ Citrus and Candy – More chocolate! Fondants are warm, gooey and full of chocolate love. This recipe sounds wonderful and I can’t wait to try it.
3. Grilled Portobello and Peach Burgers @ Design Sponge – After all the chocolate above, these sound like the healthy meal we need. Seriously though, portobello mushrooms are awesome and this whole vegetarian “burger” sounds and looks delicious. I can’t wait to try it this summer.
4. Shrimp Po’ Boys @ Bev Cooks – We talk about making po’ boys once in a while and I don’t think I’ll have a hard time convincing Lia to make these soon.
5. Caramelized Balsamic Onion and Gruyere Pizza @ Just a Taste – I love pizza. I love gruyere cheese. I love caramelized onions. This might be the next pizza we make.
Have a nice week, and see you next Sunday!