I asked my brother for some ideas as what I should make, and he mentioned coconut macaroons. There was this bakery in downtown area of Mt.Vernon, WA. We used to get these big coconut macaroon mountains from there with our mom, and he said make those. I still had some coconut in the pantry and I finally got around to making them. I wanted to use the left over condensed milk I had from making ice cream, and I didn’t want to use half of an egg white because it would just waste an egg. So, instead I put some marshmallows in the microwave until puffy with the milk just before folding in the coconut and it turned out great. I dipped the bases in melted semi sweet chocolate just like they did at the bakery. Surprisingly they didn’t end up overly sickly sweet which what I was in fear of, but they ended up amazingly perfect. I am not proclaiming this recipe to be healthy, but it is gluten free and delicious.
To me, food should bring you back to a memory, or create a new one. This recipe, this cookie, brought me back to walking down the street to my mom’s boat of a car, a ’78 Impala, nibbling the chocolate off the base of these knowing they would not make it home. I was very pleased with the results. I think you will be happy with how easy and simple this recipe turned out. I know now, that I will never buy them at the store again.
Posted by Lia S on June 11th, 2011
Yield: 1 dozen macaroons
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
- In a microwaveable bowl combine the milk, marshmallows, and vanilla. Microwave for 10 seconds, stir, repeat in 10 second intervals until smooth.
- Stir in the shredded coconut combine until all the coconut is completely moistened by the milk mixture.
- Drop by spoonfuls on the cookie sheet, forming drops into mounds, and bake for 15-17 minutes.
- Optional: Melt chocolate in a double boiler or microwave. Dip the cooled cookies into the melted chocolate and decorate as desired.
- Cool on a wire rack. Store in air tight container up to 2-3 weeks.